JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Saturday, September 11, 2021

Who do you say that I am?

"Jesus and his disciples set out for the villages of Caesarea Philippi. Along the way he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that I am?” They said in reply, “John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others one of the prophets.” And he asked them, “But who do you say that I am?” Peter said to him in reply, “You are the Christ.” (Mark 8: 27... 35).

Sunday 12th September 2021, in the 24th Week in Ordinary Time.

What happened in Caesarea Philippi in today's Gospel marks a pivotal moment in the ministry of Jesus. The Apostles have been with Jesus about three years. Now the ministry of Jesus is coming to a close. How much do they know about their Leader after three years? To Jesus' question: “Who do people say that I am?” The Apostles answered:  “John the Baptist, others Elijah, still others one of the prophets.” From their response we know that the people think highly of Jesus because Elijah and John the Baptist were two of the most important prophets in the history of Israel.

“But who do you say that I am?" You who are reading this, most probably a baptized Christian, who is Jesus to you? Every year we read this Gospel, we are supposed to show growth in the knowledge of Jesus.

When I was a child, Paul would say, I answered like a child. But today I answer thus: Jesus is my Savior, who reconciles me again and again with the Father after my sins. Jesus is Emmanuel who promised to be with me always and I know He keeps this promise. I am also updating my answer with this fact: Jesus is faithful to His promises as we expect God to be. Jesus is the God who heals me. He answers every prayer regardless of the lies of the Devil to the contrary.

Peter answered correctly, “You are the Christ.” The same Peter got the rebuke below for thinking like the world. If you think like the world, you will act like the world.

“Get behind me, Satan. You are thinking not as God does, but as human beings do.”

"If you could have heard the urgency and sorrow of My plea to Peter, James, and John! I did not merely ask them to watch and pray, I begged them to do so. I needed their prayer at that hour, just as I need the prayer of all My priests in this final hour that is coming and that is already upon My Church." (IN SINU JESU page 233).

Daily Bible Verse @ Seekfirstcommunity.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2