JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Sunday, May 14, 2023

The Feast of St Isidore the Farmer.


Be on alert because you too will testify to Me. 

"Jesus said to his disciples: “When the Advocate comes whom I will send you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, he will testify to me. And you also testify, because you have been with me from the beginning.

“I have told you this so that you may not fall away. They will expel you from the synagogues; in fact, the hour is coming when everyone who kills you will think he is offering worship to God.

"They will do this because they have not known either the Father or me.

"I have told you this so that when their hour comes you may remember that I told you.” (John 15: 26 - 16: 4a).

Monday 15th May 2023 in the 6th Week in the Easter Season is the Feast of St Isidore the Farmer (1070 - 1130).

Isidore was a humble Spanish farmer who spent most of his day on the land and managed to attend daily Mass and spend significant time before the Blessed Sacrament. His wife Maria is a canonized saint. His life reminds us that all creation belong to God who requires us to care for the environment that surrounds us. Isidore is the Patron of the National Rural Life Conference in the US.

Two important things to note about the life of St Isidore the Farmer. 

  1. As a farmer, he spent most of his time in the field. How did he manage to attend daily Mass? 

  2. How did Isidore find the time to spend before the Blessed Sacrament? 

"The Spirit of truth will be my witness; and you too will be my witnesses," says Jesus in His Last Supper Discourse. 

Have you ever thought of the possibility that you too will bear witness to Jesus Christ? I wince when I hear preachers say that the world has changed and the age of martyrdom and bearing witness was over. How wrong they are! St Oscar Romero, Archbishop of El Salvador was shot to death while celebrating Mass in the Chapel in 1980.

The English Hierarchy (about 300 Bishops) during the reign of King Henry VIII thought that all was safe. They woke up one morning and were asked to deny their faith under pain of death. Only the Bishop St John Fisher resolved to to bear witness to Jesus. 

Recent statistics and the prouncements of recent popes say that the Church is facing an unprecedented time of persecution which is a golden opportunity to bear witness to Jesus. 

Wake up. Read the Scriptures. Study Church history and pray a lot.

"I will be a witness to You in the world O Lord.  I will spread the knowledge of your name among my brothers, Alleluia! " (Psalm 18:50;  22 :23).

Daily Bible Verse @ SeekFirstcommunity.com

1 comment:

23-Psalm1to2