JESUS IS LORD. ALWAYS!

Thursday, March 10, 2022

In my distress, I cried to You and You answered my prayer.

MAN'S EXTREMITY IS GOD'S OPPORTUNITY. MAN"S SECURITY IS SATAN'S OPPORTUNITY. ESTHER WAS "SEIZED WITH MORTAL ANGUISH". HER EXTREMITY IS PROFOUND.  (1st READING).

+ I BELIEVE IN PRAYER.
+ I BELIEVE IN THE WORD OF GOD.
+ I BELIEVE IN MIRACLE (DIVINE PROVIDENCE /INTERVENTION).
+ I LEAVE THE REST TO GOD. (TOTAL SURRENDER).

"Queen Esther, seized with mortal anguish, had recourse to the Lord. She lay prostrate upon the ground, together with her handmaids, from morning until evening, and said: “God of Abraham, God of Isaac, and God of Jacob, blessed are you. Help me, who am alone and have no help but you, for I am taking my life in my hand. As a child I used to hear from the books of my forefathers that you, O Lord, always free those who are pleasing to you. Now help me, who am alone and have no one but you, O Lord, my God."  (Esther C:12, 14-16, 23- 25).

Thursday 10th March 2022 of the 1st Week of Lent.

Our key scripture  is from the first reading today, Thursday – First Week in Lent.  I made this note in my Missal about today’s scripture readings for the Mass:  “Ask and Receive Thursday.”  The first reading, the responsorial psalms, the gospel and the antiphons all have one unifying theme:  PRAYER.  This is a rare occurrence.  Before looking at other scriptures in today’s liturgy, let us consider a couple of things from the powerful passage from Esther.

First, note what Esther did when seized by the mortal anguish.  She knew where to seek help.  She had recourse to God in prayer.  Next note her posture of prayer.  She lay prostrate on the ground.  [Like some of those begging Jesus for healing.] Was she alone?  She understands the concept of prayer partnership.  Her handmaids were prostrate in prayer with her.  This is a big crisis.   How long did they pray?  From morning to evening.  They added fasting to prayer.
How did Esther pray?  After invoking the name of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob (similar today to invoking the name of Jesus today), she blessed God.

In Philippians 4: 6-7, we are advised to bring our request to God in prayer and petition with thanksgiving.   Esther tells God twice that she is alone and has nobody to help her except God.  She recalls from Scripture that God always helps those who are pleasing to Him.   She pleads to God to help her and reminds God that she is an orphan.  God after all is the Father of the fatherless and orphans. 

Then finally, she was specific about what she wants:  “persuasive words” when she meets the king;  “turn his heart to hatred for our enemy, so that he and those who are in league with him may perish.”
This is a great prayer and a model of prayer in crisis.

The Response verse is very appropriate:  “Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.”  God answered the prayer of Esther and delivered her people in a powerful way.    The rest of the Responsorial Psalm 138 continues with the theme of gratitude for answered prayer. 
"Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.
I will give thanks to you, O Lord, with all my heart, for you have heard the words of my mouth;
in the presence of the angels I will sing your praise;
I will worship at your holy temple
and give thanks to your name." (Psalm 138).

The Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches the infallibility of prayer.

Daily Bible Verse @ Seekfirstcommunity.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

23-Psalm1to2